Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm Going to Start Calling Everyone I Hate "Lord Mayor"

In reviewing my dad's exhaustive genealogical research, I found out that my great-great-great-great-great-great-
great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-
great-great-great-great Grandfather was the mayor of London. His title? Lord Mayor. In other words, my family was a big deal in the mid-14th century.

We're pretty much all broke commoners these days.

Maybe we weren't really a big deal to start with. It turns out that the plague arrived in London right before he became mayor, and I'm guessing that it must be pretty easy to be the mayor of a town where everybody's dead or dying.

So maybe "Lord Mayor" was a euphemism for something much less important. Like how people call people "boss" when they really mean "I think I'm better than you."

I also designed another t-shirt, for some reason.

No comments: